You want to find a doctor who…
- Is knowledgeable about your specific health issues (e.g., HIV and AIDs)
- Treats you with respect and listens to your opinions/concerns
- Encourages you to ask questions, explains things thoroughly and in way you can understand
- Will refer you to a specialist or encourage you to get a second opinion
- Has a schedule that works well with yours (e.g., early morning, or late afternoons/early evenings), has after-hours availability if needed
Some questions to ask yourself before picking a PCP…
Is the gender of the doctor important to me?
Do I think the race/ethnicity of the doctor is important?
Does the age of the doctor matter to me?
Is the location of the doctors medical practice important to me (e.g., distance, affluent neighborhood)?